This Questionnaire must be submitted on-line, according to the fee schedule and deadlines. Do NOT send a paper copy to the Board of Bar Examiners.
All supporting documentation required by each section of the Character and Fitness Questionnaire must be uploaded to your User Home Page. Note: Prior to uploading all supplemental document(s), YOU must redact your Social Security number from the document(s). It is YOUR responsibility to ensure this information is not included. Pay attention to the time limits in each section, as the time periods may vary for certain kinds of records. Older documents may be required based on the nature and severity of the underlying matter in the discretion of the Committee. If no time limit is specified, all documents must be provided. The upload feature will become available AFTER this questionnaire is submitted and will be located on the lower right hand side of your User Home Page. Detailed upload instructions are listed below. If you are not in possession of any documentation required by the Character and Fitness Questionnaire, you must make a diligent effort to obtain these documents by submitting written requests to the relevant agencies, and uploading these requests through your User Home Page. If the required documents are unavailable, you must obtain and upload written correspondence from
the agency, on agency letterhead, indicating that the records are unavailable or do not exist.
To avoid delays in the Character and Fitness Questionnaire review process, supplemental documents must be uploaded by January 15 for a February exam, June 15 for a July exam, or within 30 days for In-House Counsel applicants, or within 60 days for UBE or Motion applicants.
You should continue to upload documents as you receive them, and timely amend your Questionnaire as changes occur.
If additional space is required to answer any of the questions in the Questionnaire, upload a separate document clearly identifying the Section Number and the question for which additional information is being provided. One document may contain additional information for multiple sections/questions. Please make sure to date the document, and include certification language before your signature: "I certify that the foregoing statements made by me are true. I am aware that if any of the foregoing statements made by me are false, I am subject to punishment [R. 1:4-4(b)]."
To upload supplemental documentation or narratives
1. YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO UPLOAD ANY ITEMS UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED THE CHARACTER AND
FITNESS QUESTIONNAIRE (THIS DOCUMENT).
2. Once you have completed and submitted the Character and Fitness Questionnaire, an "upload" feature will activate on your User
Home Page. Note: Prior to uploading all supplemental document(s), YOU must redact your Social Security number from the document(s). It is YOUR responsibility to ensure this information is not included.
3. Prepare any documentation that you plan to upload. Only PDF documents will be accepted for uploads, all other file types will be discarded. Be sure
that the files have been scanned without any encryption or password protection.
4. To access the upload feature, log into your user account on our website, www.njbarexams.org.
5. Click the red "Upload New Document" button on the right side of your User Home Page, under the "Uploaded Documents" header.
6. Enter the Title and Description of your document.
7. Click "Choose File" and navigate to document and select "Open" and then "Upload Document".
8. You will receive an on screen confirmation that your document has successfully uploaded to the server.
9. After upload, all documents that you have submitted are viewable from your User Home Page. To access, click the red "user home"
link. Scroll to the "Uploaded Documents" section. Click the file name that you entered while uploading the document. The date to the
right of the file name is the date the document was uploaded.
10. Retain the original documents in your records. You must be able to supply them upon request.
To amend/correct your Character and Fitness Questionnaire
1. Visit your User Home Page by logging into your account on our website, www.njbarexams.org.
2. At the top of the Current Application column, click the red "amend application" button, then confirm that you wish to amend.
3. Scroll down to Forms and Progress, and click "Amend" next to Character and Fitness Questionnaire.
4. Navigate to the appropriate sections, and complete/correct your response.
5. Be sure to return to your User Home Page and click the green "submit amendments" button. Your amendment will NOT be viewable to office staff and is NOT considered submitted until you click this button to submit.